Overlanding is the best way to see South America by far! Dragoman have been leading the way in South American overland expeditions since 1990, so take advantage of our years of experience and come with us as we include all the must-see attractions as well as heading to some unique hidden gems, well away from the usual tourist trail. Starting at the incredible waterfalls of Iguazu, we drive south into the often-overlooked but fantastic country of Uruguay, where we will stay at a traditional estancia, see the rugged coastline of Santa Teresa, visit the buzzing capital of Montevideo and wander the cobbled streets of the sleepy colonial town of Colonia. We then make our way back into Argentina, and arrive in the cosmopolitan capital of Buenos Aires. Heading north from Buenos Aires, we arrive at a very special highlight of this trip - our unique estancia stay for two days of horse riding on an idyllic country ranch. After this we head north across the pampas and into the wine regions and highlands of northwest Argentina, arriving at the wonderful town of Salta. From here we cross the mighty Andes to the incredible Atacama Deserts of Chile, then overland across the other-worldly scenery of the Bolivian Altiplano to the town of Uyuni. Uyuni is our base for our visit to one of the continent's most spectacular natural wonders - the phenomenal salt flats of Salar de Uyuni. From here we will drive north via the famous mining town of Potos to the hectic Bolivian city of La Paz. From La Paz we will continue to the serene shores of Lake Titicaca and its sacred Inca island of Isla del Sol, and then move on to the traveller's paradise of Cuzco. Cuzco is our base for one of South America's best highlights, the Inca Trails and a visit to the legendary ruined city of Machu Picchu. Join us for this unforgettable South American adventure!
Duration: 10 Days
Start City: San Francisco, United States
Trip ID: 158402
End City: Zion Lodge, United States
Duration: 10 Days
Guaranteed Departure: Yes
For lovers of:
Traveller Tour Rating:
Tour code: 158402
Starts: San Francisco, United States
Finishes: Zion Lodge, United States
- Visit the phenomenal Iguazu Falls from the Argentine side, where you can get the closest views of Garganta del Diablo and explore the web of nature trails around the area's forests and waterfalls
- See the mighty Iguazu Falls from the Brazilian side, enjoying the incredble panorama of waterfalls and exploring the beauty of the area
- Enjoy an incredible 2-night stay at a traditional Uruguayan farm to gain a fascinating insight into the lives of the gauchos, take part in a cooking demonstration, and go to an evening of traditional local music
- Take a day trip across the phenomenal sand dunes to the remote settlement of Cabo Polonio, and explore its dramatic coastlines and beaches
- Take a fantastic tour around some of Uruguay's oldest vineyards, and taste some of the delicious wines produced here
- Learn all about the fascinating history of the once-world-famous Fray Bentos meat factory on a guided tour, at one time the pride of Uruguayan industry which fell into decline after nationalisation and the formation of the European Common Market
- Spend 3 special days at a unique Anglo-Argentine Estancia, to experience the gaucho way of living and see the beautiful countryside by horseback
- Explore the atmospheric ruins of the indigenous city of Quilmes in north west Argentina
- Visit the impressive rock formations of 'El Amphiteatro' and 'La Garganta del Diablo' en route through the primaeval landscape of the Quebrada de las Conchas
- Explore the dramatic, other-worldly landscape of the Moon Valley, and take in an incredible sunset from one of its high viewpoints
- Take the epic journey across the southern Bolivian altiplano - an incredible high-altitude, off-road adventure through a surreal desert landscape, taking in bizarre rock formations, hot springs, and the phenomenal coloured lakes of Laguna Colorada and Laguna Verde
- Take a full day tour out in jeeps to the dazzling Salar de Uyuni Salt Flats - the spectacular, perfectly-flat salt plains that are one of South America's most incredible sights
- Stay as guests of the local Andean community of Livichuco, and get an insight into the life of rural Bolivians in an area largely untouched by other tourists
- Take a boat trip to Lake Titicaca's Isla del Sol, and head on a guided walk across the length of the stunning island
- Visit the incredible Inca site of Tipón, once an agricultural centre and a park for the Inca elite
- Visit the incredible remains of the Inca temples of Sacsaywaman and the Sacred Valley on a guided tour
- Take a guided tour of the fantastic Inca temples at Ollantaytambo
- Options for the treks from Cuzco (please see the bottom of the Trip Notes for more details):
Option 1 - Community Trek
Hike on unspoiled Inca Trails through the stunning remote Andean scenery away from other tourists and through local communities, on our exclusive Community Inca Trek. If you choose this option you will get a small refund from kitty.
Option 2 - Classic Trek
Trek the Classic Inca Trail up the Royal Inca Road. Your kitty has been budgeted to accommodate for this option as it is the most costly of the 3 options.
Option 3 - MAPI non-trekking option
Relax in Cuzco and take the train to Machu Picchu without trekking. If you choose this option you will get a substantial refund from kitty.
Important note: You must advise us at the time of booking if you wish to book the Classic Inca Trail or the MAPI non-trekking option, otherwise you will automatically be booked onto our Community Trek.
- Explore the phenomenal and iconic Inca ruins of Machu Picchu, one of the New 7 Wonders of the World - take a guided tour and have plenty of time to freely explore before returning to Cuzco
Why book with us?
Trusted by travellers since 1979
We guarantee to beat any price
Low deposits, Book now. Pay later.
24/7/365 Help on the road